Finding the right divorce attorney is crucial when you are dealing with a difficult marriage situation in your life and seeking a legal separation in the Houston area. If you have no prior experience in this legal process, you may end up wasting time and money as you keep changing lawyers and law firms trying to find the right one. With a 10.0 Avvo rating and 25-plus years of experience in Texas as a divorce practice in Harris County, The Cusic Law Firm, P.C., can be the right choice for a family attorney.
Top-Rated Divorce Attorneys In Harris County
As one of the top-rated Houston divorce law firms, our family-practice team has successfully represented many divorce cases for families in their time of need. Our divorce attorneys always prioritize client’s needs and are committed to open and honest communication with the client. With an aim to offer each client the best legal advice and services, our team works hard to stay informed of any changes in the law that could affect divorce cases. Without a doubt, it’s easy to find the right divorce attorney in Houston for a fast, stress-free and less-expensive divorce process when you choose The Cusic Law Firm.
What is A ‘Divorce Attorney’?
A divorce attorney is a lawyer with a family law specialization who has a thorough knowledge in all family law issues including divorce, child support, child custody and visitation rights. Dessiray W. Cusic, as a board-certified family law attorney, has the following unique skills:
- Broad expertise in family law issues
- Attentive listening skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Detailed knowledge of Texas divorce law
- Advocacy and dispute resolution skills
What Does A Divorce Lawyer Do?
A legal marriage termination requires many lawful aspects to be addressed before a divorce is finalized. These are just a few of the many job duties that a divorce lawyer performs:
- Presents your case: A divorce attorney not only represents your case in the court, but he or she is also responsible for negotiating the assets and debt divisions between the spouses.
- Helps with child custody and support: In those cases where children are involved, the divorce lawyer assists in establishing the terms for child custody and support.
- Presents evidence: Divorce can be a complicated legal process. Your legal counsel will perform thorough research and detailed paperwork to gather all of the pertinent evidence needed in presenting your case before the court.
- Compiles paperwork: As your legal advisor, the divorce attorney will perform everything from compiling paperwork to submitting documents to the court for the evidence.
Divorce Laws In Texas: What You Need to Know
If you are divorcing in Texas, here are a few things that you need to know before filing for a divorce here:
The Texas law requires residency proof from either of the spouse to file a divorce here. You or your spouse must reside in Texas for at least six months and in a particular county for 90 days before filing.
No Legal Separation
Without a divorce, the Texas law doesn’t recognize any “legal separation.” Even though you and your spouse are living apart, all your property and debt are considered as community debt and property regardless of the titles.
The Texas divorce law doesn’t allow the courts to finalize a divorce until the baby is born. This is to ensure that all the orders regarding the child’s custody are included in the final decree.
Legal Grounds Of Divorce In Texas
The divorce law in Texas takes seven statutory grounds into consideration for ending a marriage legally. If you’re unsure about the law requirements, discuss this with your Houston divorce attorney today.
Request A Free Consultation From A Divorce Attorney Near You
Going through a divorce can be stressful and emotionally difficult. Without the right attorney, your divorce process may become a very long, financial nightmare. If you are seeking a friendly and experienced divorce lawyer with years of expertise in the family law practice, The Cusic Law Firm, P.C., is the right choice for you. Call us today at 713-423-6757 or contact us online to book a free, 30-minute consultation and take the first step toward finding the right divorce lawyer for your family issues.